Every summer my mom and stepfather go on a summer trip. They are getting longer and longer. The first trip they took was 6 weeks. Now they are up to 14 weeks. They have a coach, and they drive all over the country. Exploring known places, and unknown places. They golf, they site see, they do all kinds of things.
My mom lives a mile away from me. I'm used to seeing her all the time. When summer approaches, I start to get very depressed because I know she is leaving soon. Mothers day and her birthday are both in May, so she is always gone for both.
They are now 2 weeks and 4 days into this summer trip. I miss her terribly.
Really, I should be used to it by now. They are gone about 10 months out of the year. Here and there. The summer trip is the longest. Then comes football season. They go to just about every game- home and away. I go to just about every home game, so I still see them a lot, and they come home in between games. Then in February they go to the races, so they are gone a couple weeks, then back to the summer trip. Must be nice to have that kind of retirement! But I miss my mom.
One of the things that I have been thinking about lately is when I get pregnant- my mom isn't really going to be there for any of it. Sure, I can call her and vent/ask questions/freak out. But she wont be "there" with me. If I get pregnant at the start of summer- I'll be almost 4 months along before she comes back. Then she'll only be back for a month before she'll be gone again. God forbid I'm due during football season. Obviously, they will miss a game to be there with me, but I'll never hear the end of how poor the planning was! Gator football is above all else.
Being pregnant, when you are close to your mother is a time that you need her, and I'm afraid I wont really have her there.
At least I will have my mother in law. Who seriously is the closest thing to a mother I have besides my mother. I am so very lucky that I have wonderful in-laws who are always there to help, and to hang out with. I got really really lucky. But it would be nice to have my mom there.
And don't read into anything. I'm not pregnant yet. Wish I was, but I'm not.
Today I am sad. Tomorrow I will be better, but for today, I am sad.
Our New Normal
10 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment