Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Old Post #4 (Rank at work..)

So, I don't know if I have mentioned that I am the assistant to a president of a company. I have been here for a year and a half. The presidents daughter calls at least once a week. Always the same thing "Hi, its Courtney, is my dad there?" Sure thing....So I have seen her on at least 10 occasions. Christmas parties, The presidents birthday, random times, etc.Today she comes in with her mother, who is.....well, we wont go there. As they are walking out prez turns to Courtney and says "you know Heather, right?" and she says "Hi, I'm ACourtney, nice to meet you" and walks away. Prez says "Good job" like she deserves a new car for being 20 and being able to introduce herself to someone. ( She gets a new car every time she gets sick of the one she has which is about.....about 6-9 months... no joke...must be nice..)
Never mind the fact that she has definitely introduced herself to me about 7 times. So now I know where I stand.....
In other work related news.....I create all the job files for our company. Exciting, I know. Anyways, if there is an order for more than $1000 I have to send them a "Product Information Form". They have to fill out this form and fax it back to me. The information on it is pretty basic, what the job is, who the contractor is and how they will be paying. We HAVE to have this information before a file can be completed. So I'm going through active files and I notice that there are several job files that don't have this form filled out yet. I take them out and resend them because if we ship the stuff and the job gets completed and thats not filled out, my boss will tear me a new one...
So I attach a letter that CLEARLY states "Attached is the product information form for this job. Please fill it out and send to to fax number xxx-xxxx so that we may complete your file." Then there is a paper that says across the top PRODUCT INFORMATION FORM and under that it says please fill out the following information for your file. Rocket Science, right?
So I send it out and this guy from company "Moron's R Us" calls me and this is our conversation:me: "good afternoon, (company name)"moron: "Hi, I got this paper that i think I'm supposed to fill out"me: while trying not to laugh at his stupidity.... "Yes, sir, I need you to fill that out for your file"moron: "But this is an old job"me: " Have we shipped the products to you yet?" already knowing the answer.....moron: "No, but its an old job, it was ordered months ago."me: " "Yes sir..I understand that...but we still need you to fill out the information for your file" Wanting to scream "YOU FREAKIN MORON, JUST FILL IT OUT!" but I didn't..moron: "Well, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with it. It would have been nice if you had attached a letter stating what I was supposed to do."
Now, this is somewhat of a fair statement. Lets say that someone ELSE picked up the paper off the fax machine, tossed the one that says what to do and just hands him the actual paper. But wait!!!! It says on the form "PRODUCT INFORMATION FORM: please fill out the following information for your file." Then it lists the job file number, the purchase order number, the date of the job, and our fax number.So is it REALLY REALLY that hard to figure out what it is you are supposed to do with that piece of paper? How exactly did this man get put IN CHARGE of something? I'm pretty sure that we learn in kindergarten how to follow directions. Unless of course he didn't get that check mark on his report card. Then maybe it should be stated on his resume "Does not follow directions well..."

No comments:

Post a Comment